Friday, March 8, 2013

An Awful Cook's Recipe to Feeding Her Kids

I need to first admit something: I am the world's worst cook. I am decent at baking, but I am in every sense the worst cook in our home. I have a few dishes that come out decent, but 90% of the time, my family would much rather have my husband cook or order out then have me cook.  Our family also has a strange schedule that makes it tough to sit down for a big family dinner every evening. Certain activities and job schedules makes dinner time inconsistent.  We probably sit down to eat more lunches together then dinners.  That being said, the kids still have to eat and I try to keep it healthy, even if it's not very creative or gourmet.  Here are a few tips I have used to feed my young kids, without being talented in the kitchen:

- Add a few beans.  Beans are really healthy, add lots of lean protein, and are easy for early feeders to eat.  Anyone can cook up beans, they are simple and easy to add to any meal.

- Always have fresh fruits and veggies cut up, washed and ready for consumption.  My older son is a very picky eater but he's pretty good about eating fruits and vegetables.  Having them easy and available makes everyone snack a little healthier and starts good eating habits.

- Bread and Cereal. You can add a whole grain piece of bread or noodles to any meal to help your child(ren) get the whole grains they need.  Same goes for cereal.  My son almost always has a bowl of healthy cereal before bed every night.  I know he is getting some of those extra whole grains and nutrients that I might have missed at meals.

- Nuts and dried fruit make for healthy, protein filled snacks.  Again, my oldest, the picky eater, is not a big meat eater so to try to get him the protein he needs, I give him dried fruit and nuts or some sort of trailmix. I know he's getting some extra protein and he thinks it's a cool snack.

- Chicken, chicken.  It is sometimes difficult to know what to feed those early eaters. Before they can eat peanut butter and deli meat, what do you give them for lunch every day?  Both my son's were not big baby food eaters and wanted nothing to do with baby food once they had started eating table food, so with both boys, I made chicken breasts and shredded the meat when they first learning to eat, and then cutting up chunks when they are more advanced eaters.  I bake a few chicken breasts a week, cut them up into small chunks and keep them in the fridge for daily reheating at lunch time.  Both my boys are good chicken eaters, and chicken has been a staple for them since they could eat their first table food.  Throw in some beans, veggies, whole grain, and fruit and you have a great meal for lunch or dinner; even if you don't have time or can't cook something gourmet for the entire family.

- Steam fresh veggies save my life!  The steam fresh packs of veggies are how I do most of my cooked veggies, they are easy and quick, and blonde-proof, I can't mess them up:)

A couple of notes from what I've learned from feeding my kids:

- My kids eat more at lunch then any other meal.  The mid day break during the most active part of their day usually makes them hungry, so I try to get in a good chunk of their fruits, veggies, dairy, protein and whole grains in at lunch time when they are a little more hungry.

- Pick your food battles.  We have had to decide many times with our oldest son, do we make this a food battle or not.  He has to take a "no thank you bite" and try everything, but if he doesn't like it, we don't make him eat it.  He does have to eat enough of something and it has to be good for him. 

- Find recipes and dishes that work for you from family and friends.  My mom has an awesome recipe for protein-packed pancakes that I use all of the time.  Most of the dishes I do ok, I have been shown by other people or it is something I have tried a couple times and gotten comfortable making.

- Stop feeling guilty!  I find myself comparing myself to other moms who are awesome cooks and feeling extremely guilty about my lack of good home cooked meals for my family.  But then I remember I have my other strengths as a parent and it's OK! It is ok if you don't have a gourmet meal cooked for every dinner and your kids will get through their picky stage.  Find what works for your family, even if it is sitting down to lunch together instead of dinner.  Find what works for YOUR family and don't unfairly judge yourself or allow others to judge you!

Have fun with food and let your kids join in the fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment