Friday, January 28, 2011

Tired or just a Mom?

I had a mom tell me today that she had called up her mom to vent about how exhausted she had been feeling. Her mother's response, "well you better start praying for inner strength, because you are a mom now, you are always going to be tired." I love this quote, and part of the reason I am blogging it is so that I don't forget it! It is soooo true. I am always, always, always exhausted. I wake up exhausted, I go to bed exhausted. If I get a good seven hours of sleep, I am exhausted because I got too much sleep and my body isn't used to it! Every mom that I know is tired, all of the time!

However, as much as this person was upset with her mother for not having any sympathy for her, her mom makes a good point. We are mothers. We are at a point in our lives when we are always going to be tired. Everyday life is going to be tiring and the hard days are going to be even more exhausting. We can whine about it or we can ask for strength from the Lord and do what we can to forget about being tired. I tend to forget being tired by drinking way, way too much coffee! But sometimes I get caught up in a selfish thinking that I am the only damn tired mom on the Earth! When single, working, sick mothers everywhere are ten times more tired then me and have a much better attitude about life. I may be tired, but I bet the mom who has to go to chemo once a week is a heck of a lot more tired then I am and she still has to put on a smile and do the laundry and make her kids' lunches for school. Life is never easy for parents. We can whine and complain or we can do something about it! (Like stop at Starbucks after storyhour:) Ok, more healthy ideas maybe more like pray a little more, be more thankful, and enjoy the little moments more. Kids grow up really, really fast, and I can spend my time being tired, or I can spend my time being a mom to them. I will always be tired, but I won't always get these precious moments with my kid!

No comments:

Post a Comment